Sweet Potato Casserole is a beloved American side dish made from mashed sweet potatoes, sweetened with brown sugar and flavored with vanilla and butter. It’s typically topped with a sweet and crunchy mixture of brown sugar, nuts (usually pecans), and butter. This dish is a staple at holiday gatherings, known for its delightful combination of creamy and sweet with a crispy topping.
For the Crust:
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of chopped nuts (preferably pecans)
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
For the Sweet Potato Mixture:
- 3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (you can use canned for convenience, just make sure to drain them)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, all-purpose flour, chopped nuts, and melted butter for the crust. Set this mixture aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- In another mixing bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, salt, vanilla extract, beaten eggs, and melted butter. Mix everything thoroughly until well combined.
- Grease a baking dish with butter or cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture that you set aside earlier.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is set.
- After baking, allow the casserole to cool and set for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Sweet Potato Casserole!