Loaded Broccoli, Cheese, & Potato Soup is a rich and comforting dish that blends the flavors of broccoli, cheddar cheese, and potatoes. It’s a hearty soup, often enjoyed in cooler seasons, featuring a creamy texture and topped with ingredients like cheese and bacon for extra taste.
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) chicken broth
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 small heads of broccoli, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3½ – 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic pepper
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, diced carrots, cubed potatoes, and onion powder.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Introduce the finely diced broccoli to the pot, cover it again, and let it simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Gradually whisk in the flour, cooking for about a minute until the mixture takes on a golden brown color.
- Continue whisking as you gradually pour in the milk, allowing the sauce to thicken over the course of about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese, ensuring it melts evenly into the sauce.
- Add the salt and garlic pepper, enhancing the flavors of the cheese sauce.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the large pot with the simmering vegetables, stirring until everything is well combined.
- If you prefer a thinner soup consistency, feel free to add more milk at this stage. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Ladle the creamy chowder into bowls and garnish with the chopped bacon pieces.
- Serve the delightful chowder while it’s still warm, savoring each spoonful of its comforting flavors!