– Cornmeal: 1 cup (120g)
– All-purpose flour: 1 cup (125g) (spoon & leveled)
– Baking powder: 1 teaspoon
– Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
– Salt: 1/8 teaspoon
– Unsalted butter: 1/2 cup (115g) (melted and slightly cooled)
– Light or dark brown sugar: 1/3 cup (67g) (packed)
– Honey: 2 Tablespoons (30ml)
– Egg: 1 (large) at room temperature
– Buttermilk: 1 cup (240ml) at room temperature
HOW TO MAKE IT :
1. First of all, set the temperature of the oven to 400°F (204°C) and grease and lightly flour an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
2. Pick a large bowl and whisk in together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Then whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and honey in a medium bowl, until completely smooth and thick. Immediately, whisk in the egg until combined. Once done, whisk in the buttermilk. You’ll want to pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking until combined (no need to over-mixing).
3. And please pour batter into prepared baking pan, baking until golden brown on top and the center is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Test using a toothpick. That’s right, edges should be crispy. Make sure to let to slightly cool before slicing and serving. At this point, you may serve cornbread with butter, honey, jam, or whatever you like.
4. Finally, wrap leftovers up tightly and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.