Crispy cheesy hash browns are a delicious breakfast dish made from grated potatoes mixed with cheese. They’re fried until golden brown and crunchy on the outside while being soft inside. They’re a versatile treat, great for breakfast or as a flavorful side dish.
- 3 small russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cooking oil, for frying
- Start by boiling a pot of water. Gently place the peeled russet potatoes into the boiling water and let them cook for about 6 minutes.
- Once done, drain the potatoes and rinse them under cold water until they’re cool enough to handle.
- Grate the cooled potatoes and place them in a medium-sized bowl.
- To the grated potatoes, add the all-purpose flour, large egg, softened butter, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, and black pepper. Mix thoroughly until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Grease a 1/3 cup measuring cup and use it to scoop the mixture. Shape the mixture into patties using your hands.
- In a large skillet, heat a few tablespoons of cooking oil over medium-high heat.
- Carefully add the formed hash brown patties to the skillet in batches, ensuring they don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook each patty for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- As needed, add more oil to the skillet while cooking the batches of hash browns.
- Once cooked, transfer the hash browns to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the crispy and cheesy hash browns while they’re still hot and enjoy!
(Note: Always exercise caution when working with hot oil and boiling water.)