- 4 Bananas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 whole egg
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks (save the whites for meringue)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 package vanilla wafers
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
How To Make Banana Pudding
Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Grease 13″ x 9″ casserole dish.
- Add the sugar, flour, salt, one whole egg, and milk to a saucepan. Mix together well.
- Add the four egg yolks and mix well.
- Cook over medium-low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. The sauce takes about 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Once the sauce is done cooking, add the vanilla and stir.
- Line the bottom and sides of a casserole dish with vanilla wafers.
- Slice two bananas over the vanilla wafers, just before the pudding is done, so they do not brown.
- Pour half of the pudding over the wafers and bananas.
- Slice two more bananas over the pudding.
- Pour the remainder of the pudding over the bananas.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar and mix until blended.
- Spread over the pudding mixture and bake for 8-10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Let cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
You can eat the banana pudding right out of the oven, but it will not be as thick. It will thicken in the refrigerator.